Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Obsession : Understanding Ego

I

That is MY ego. My concept of self.

I am not talking about the ego as in an inflated feeling of pride in my superiority to others .

I am talking about the "I" as I perceive it.

I am eating. I am sleeping. What is I? Do we perceive ourselves as the body we have? Again that is not true with most. We usually say MY body. My hand. My eyes. Then
what is it? Is it the brain? I suppose not. It is usually referred to as " my brain " .

Is it the soul? The soul that we have no empirical proof of. Don't the most of us refer to it as "My Soul"?(An excellent suggestion by my good friend Anu.)

Then what is it?

What am I?

Aren't we all just objects with extremely complex mechanisms (of course complex is relative term in this case)? The perception of 'I' is in our minds.
Again isn't the identity of mind just a specific configuration of the brain (in term of the behavioral properties of the neurons or whatever it is in the brain)?

So now I am not even sure what the question is!

4 comments:

NRkey Menon said...

I : A non visual perception of the existence(don't get me started on that again!) of the self for relative understanding of each member of a society with respect to its surroundings as to graph out the relative actions. 'I' becomes a whole when its the only element in a set.

Ok, dont ask me what i've written here. Just trying to act Mr.Smarty-Pants here.

Jinal said...

U smartypant !!!

Aanshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aanshi said...

went thru the post and i wud like to state my definition of ego here...
to me its like a mercury level in the thermometer... towards the bottom line lies self-respect, one choses the place of that line... the other part of the level can rise and collapse as per the temp neways, not findin more words, peace..! :)